Spotlight on… Paul Rich
Paul Rich, a Camelot Member since March 2020, is the founder of MOTOSI Consulting. With over 15 years of industry experience, he really does have the know-how when it comes to operations and the London Market.
- How long have you been a member of Camelot?
Since March 2020.
- Have you attended any Road Tests? If so which & can you remember what the themes were & how you enjoyed helping them?
I’ve previously attended a Road Test with Netcall, we looked at their development of an application that was specifically aimed at the London Market. Netcall demonstrated both their flexibility and ability to deliver a Low-Code platform.
- Are you a leader or a member of a Think Tank? If so, why and what do you get out of it? Or hope the industry gets out of it?
I am a member of the London Market, Innovation and Claims Think Tank.
I find it interesting to be part of these groups, to share insight and gain further understanding and knowledge of the areas in which I work daily – it helps me further enhance my proposition to clients.
- Area of expertise (in 1 or 2 words)?
- London Market
- Highest/proudest most recognisable previous role?
Head of Delegated Authorities – Aspen
- What are some examples of recent projects that you’ve worked on?
- Delivered an executive strategy briefing and assessment of the Lloyd’s Blueprint document to a London Market Managing Agent.
- Developed a ‘go-to market’ strategy for a technology company that was looking to develop its presence in the London Market, assisting them with comms and PR, sales playbooks, and marketing collateral.
- Building a London Market Delegated Authority proposition with a global consulting practice.
- What is your unique selling point? What makes your business approach unique?
I take a pragmatic, direct approach to all my consulting work, based on a deep understanding of the market I work in.
- Can you name one professional high point from the last 12 months and what made it so good?
Creating Data Strategy as a Service (DSaaS) as a proposition with fellow Camelot member, Marisa Murton.
It was created to serve a growing need in the market for companies to deepen their understanding of their data and how best to use it and to gain a competitive advantage.
- We need to talk about…? What is, or what should be, hot on the industry’s lips in your view?
Data is the subject being talked about in every corner of the market, from the creation of data standards and their use to digitise and future proof the market, to how it can be used to deliver things such as bordereau free delegated authority propositions.
- Tell us about a challenging work scenario (no names) and how you resolved it?
I was called to a company to make an assessment of a particular business area in which they were particularly challenged and under a good deal of regulatory scrutiny. It involved working with multiple stakeholders and to get to the route of the issues they were facing and to make recommendations based upon my findings.
I worked with them, through the recommendations and helped to turn things around and for them to be deemed operationally efficient in the eyes of the regulator.
- What should everyone be reading/listening to?
Everyone should consider reading more about what makes up their ‘human’ experience, what makes everyone tick and motivates us; it makes for more engaging and satisfying working. Books like ‘The Power of Now’ and ‘A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle’ are particular favourites of mine at the moment.
- Do you have any words of wisdom for us or a short phrase that sums up your ethos?
Be inspiring, be engaging and be bold.
- Do you have a favourite quote?
If there is peace in your mind, you will find peace with everybody, happiness is permanent, it is always there, what comes and goes is unhappiness.
- Any professional goals for the upcoming year?
To develop the DSaaS proposition and for it to become recognised as a service of value and delivery amongst clients.
- Why does your area of expertise need to be spotlighted?
My direct and expert approach is something I am very proud of.
I have a clear vision of the challenges that are being faced by companies operating in the London Market and what needs to be done to address them.
- Any tips that you can give to one or more of the following types of businesses?
- Solution providers to the insurance industries – Take time to understand the unique challenges of the London Market by engaging with Subject Matter Experts and those that have practical and proven experience of delivery in it.
- Insurance businesses – startup/scale-ups – Be pragmatic and ambitious in equal measure and always factor in more time to build a proposition that encapsulates the inherent value to be delivered.
- Insurance businesses – established – Be bold in your assumptions and open-minded to the changing marketplace and deliver the proposition accordingly.
- Other consultants – Have confidence in your abilities and experience, they are of considerable value to many organisations that seek expert, pragmatic advice.
- And… Last but not least, how does being a member of The Camelot Network help you/or add value to your business?
- Get to know some of our other experts that have been showcased
- Find out more about the Road Test panels our experts advise on
- Read what clients say about the value they get from our consultants’ advice
- If you’d like to network with our consultants, register for our next big event
To find out more about our members and how we can create your perfect solution, contact David Clamp: