Spotlight on… Erica MacKay
Erica MacKay, ex Head of Marketing for AIG EMEA, tells us all about her 20+ years in the marketing industry, and how sustainability should be at the forefront of everyone’s minds (especially those thinking about the customer).
- What is your role since leaving corporate life?
I am co-director of The Marketing Detective Agency, focused on helping businesses define a clear, actionable marketing strategy
- How long have you been a member of Camelot?
- Have you been a panel expert on any Road Tests?
I’ve been involved with two Road Tests, one with Datactics and the other with EIS.
I really enjoy understanding a core target market and helping companies focus on benefits rather than features, especially tech firms.
- Are you a leader or a member of a Think Tank? If so, why and what do you get out of it? Or hope the industry gets out of it?
I am an active member of the Sustainability Think Tank and an attending member of the Customer Experience Think Tank.
I love having active debates and discussions about topics that impact the insurance industry. It’s always great hearing other views and expanding my knowledge!
- Area of expertise (in 1 or 2 words)?
- Highest/proudest most recognisable previous role?
Head of Marketing for AIG EMEA.
- How long have you been doing this subject/area?
- Please can you provide some examples of recent projects that you’ve worked on?
One of my recent projects is creating and launching a direct mail program for an insurance client. It was during the height of lockdown when all our targets were at home and excited to receive and open direct mail.
Another project was creating a Linkedin presence and strategy for an insurtech business focused in the marine insurance industry.
- What is your unique selling point? What makes your business approach unique?
The objective (or otherwise, the ‘what’) of the Marketing Detective Agency is to find the clients that want, need and can afford what you have to offer. This also looks at the exact moment when they are most open to buying from you; the ‘when’ (not only the where) to find them.
- Can you name one professional high point from the last 12 months and what made it so good?
A professional highpoint was a webinar that we ran in February. There was 350 attendees and it led to 6 direct sales – leads are still coming in!
It was the first webinar we ran as the Marketing Detective Agency, even though we run webinars and events for many of our clients.
We were able to share our core philosophy of identifying a target client before you start any marketing, as well as position ourselves as experts in the industry.
- We need to talk about…? What is, or what should be, hot on the industry’s lips in your view?
Sustainability is a key topic which everyone should be focused on.
The main reason is to save the planet and leave a healthy world for future generations… But if this is not a powerful enough motivation then profit should be.
Consumers are driving the focus on sustainability, more and more of them are choosing products, companies and services based on their impact on the planet.
- Do you have a favourite quote?
“Don’t think out of the box. Think like there is no box”.
- Why are you such an asset to the industry & the network?
If you like straight talking, no nonsense marketing with a focus on strategy but with measurable action steps to get there – I am the marketer for you.
- And… last but not least, how does being a member of The Camelot Network help you/or add value to your business?
- Get to know some of our other experts that have been showcased
- Read Erica’s latest article ‘Do Marketers need to think differently about Trust?’
- Find out more about the Road Test panels our experts advise on
- If you’d like to network with our consultants, register for our next big event
To find out more about our members and how we can create your perfect solution, contact David Clamp: