Spotlight on… Bryan Falchuk
Bryan Falchuk, ex Head of Claims at Hiscox USA and now Managing Partner of Insurance Evolution Partners.
He’s a bestselling author, TEDx presenter and executive coach – there’s no stopping this one!
With 20+ years industry experience and an eye for innovation and changing the industry, we speak to Camelot Member, Bryan Falchuk.
- How long have you been a member of Camelot?
Officially, about 5 months. Unofficially about a year.
- Have you been an expert on any Road Test panels? If so, which & can you remember what the themes were & how you enjoyed helping them?
Yes! The road test was all about bringing more clarity to the positioning and helping them bring out a reason a carrier should care vs. just reviewing their tech/services.
- Are you a leader or a member of a Think Tank? If so, why and what do you get out of it? Or hope the industry gets out of it?
I am part of the Claims Think Tank and also the NED Think Tank – it’s good to connect with others with the same thematic focus or interest to go deeper in supporting each other.
- Area of expertise (in 1 or 2 words)?
- Highest/proudest most recognisable previous role?
Head of Claims, Hiscox USA
- How long have you been doing this subject/area?
21 years in P&C (always with an eye to innovation), 5 in Claims
- Please can you provide some examples of recent projects that you’ve worked on?
- Advising a number of InsurTech startups on go-to-market, strategy, pricing, marketing
- Publishing my second Insurance book, “The Future of Insurance, Volume II. The Startups,” which just hit best-seller status and it’s only in pre-orders!
- What is your unique selling point? What makes your business approach unique?
Having been an executive at carriers and InsurTech solution providers, I bring a unique, dual-lens perspective to the question of how to innovate and evolve in our industry.
- Can you name one professional high point from the last 12 months and what made it so good?
The response to my first book – every time I get outreach from someone who it is helping to think differently about the industry, it’s incredibly rewarding.
- We need to talk about…? What is, or what should be, hot on the industry’s lips in your view?
While there’s much more talk about innovation and listening to customers, I still find a lot of resistance to engaging differently in how we look at it and decide what we need to deliver.
- Please describe a challenging work scenario (no names) and how you resolved it?
I don’t think I can do this justice in 100 words, but I had a coworker who was hiding a brewing problem in a book of business, and attacked all of us who were inadvertently unearthing it, including me.
I survived the attacks, and what I learned in the process was so valuable, I wrote a book about it and did a TEDx Talk on it.
- What should everyone be reading/listening to?
I’d love if you’d subscribe to my new podcast (YouTube or podcasting platform), and hopefully my books (“The Future of Insurance” series) on insurance innovation are valuable to you (new one comes out in June!).
- Do you have any words of wisdom for us or a short phrase that sums up your ethos?
This industry has a very noble purpose. We are there for people in the worst moments of their lives and to keep the risk of those moments from standing in the way of people living their lives and pursuing their dreams. It’s important to keep that in mind as we all work to do better.
- Do you have a favourite quote?
“Every morning, we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”
- Any professional goals for the upcoming year?
Have my next book be a real success, outselling its predecessor, and leading to even more meaningful engagement with the industry.
- Why are you such an asset to the industry & the network?
I’ve really tried to help us come back to the purpose of this industry as fuel to be more willing to change and break through the excuses we’ve always named when justifying stagnation or hesitation. My mix of insurance experience and personal development work seems to allow me to inspire people around that notion quite uniquely.
- Why does your area of expertise need to be spotlighted?
Because it’s a catalyst for each of us to drive improvement, and our industry needs that.
- 2 or 3 tips or give aways that you can give to 1 or more of the following types of businesses:
- Solution providers to the insurance industries
Getting a broad set of experienced perspectives on your product, approach, strategy, etc, is invaluable to really unlock growth. There’s no way around that, and I can’t think of another place you can do that at such scale so quickly as with Camelot.
- Insurance businesses – startup/scale ups
Insurance is a tricky space to navigate, and having insights from those who have navigated it across many different situations and contexts can save you time and missteps. This can help not just protect your runway but also push your business ahead in meaningful ways.
- Insurance businesses – established:
Gaining breadth of perspectives with deep expertise across the industry on how you can move forward or improve can unlock established players’ ability to innovate and scale.
- Other consultants:
Camelot is a thriving network of peers designed to support you, guide you, open doors for you, and appreciate your advice and insights, which I can’t imagine building a consulting practice without.
- Any stats/results to show off your proud moments?
I’ve been lucky to have many accomplishments and stats. No need to sing about any of them, with one exception that I’m very proud of – in the two companies I’ve had large teams under me, I’ve taken them from bottom of the barrel to top in the organisation on engagement scores, and I’m very proud of that.
The dollars tend to follow, and they have done, but the people focus is key.
- And… Last but not least, how does being a member of The Camelot Network help you/or add value to your business?
- Get to know some of our other experts that have been showcased
- Find out more about the Road Test panels our experts advise on
- Read what clients say about the value they get from our consultants’ advice
- If you’d like to network with our consultants, register for our next big event
To find out more about our members and how we can create your perfect solution, contact David Clamp: