Spotlight on… Anna-Marie Powell
Anna-Marie is ‘making a REAL difference’ in marketing, helping restore value and giving organisations in the insurance world a boost towards their goals.
Read all about how Anna-Marie is lighting the way for businesses…
- What makes your business approach unique?
I provide marketing expertise that lights the way for general insurance businesses in the main. I have a blend of technical and broad marketing skills – I listen, I connect the dots and bring a fresh, independent perspective to insurtechs, MGAs, brokers and insurers.
- Tell us about a few recent projects you’ve worked on?
I’ve previously worked as:
- Marketing lead and founding member of Pikl, (an insurtech for the sharing economy), delivering the brand and marketing strategy, value proposition development and planning, digital marketing, events, PR, supplier selection and management, and web development.
- I also helped develop the brand and marketing strategy for MeteorWrite, a newer than new specialist motor MGA.
- I’m developing a go-to-market strategy and business direction for Brightchecker, after already introducing investors to the business.
- Designed and ran two BIBA Conference Hackathons for over 100 people, taking problems in the insurance value chain and generating prize-winning ideas developed by teams from insurtechs, insurers, brokers and tech businesses.
- Can you name one professional high point from the last 12 months and what made it so good?
My mantra is ‘making a REAL difference’, which I have achieved with all three mentioned brands and have found these more rewarding than anything I have done before. I enjoy the nimbleness of the start-up world and the fast pace too – and all three are right up there!
- Directing marketing for Insurtech Pikl via traditional and digital routes, all while on a minimal budget and gaining brand recognition.
- Driving forward development of a new MGA brand and value proposition for MeteorWrite.
- Developing the sales and marketing strategy for Brightchecker.
- We need to talk about…? What is, or what should be, hot on the industry’s lips in your view?
“Customer feed-forward holds the key to the V”
We have lost it, we have lost the V from the insurance value chain – hand offs, multiple clips on ticket, gimmicky sales tactics, customer misunderstandings and a whole lot of mistrust!
We should as an industry really look at how we fulfil customer needs better to find that real V.
For me, it is about moving away from customer feedback and moving to customer feed-forward, inviting the customer to tell you about the one or two things they would change, rather than the after-the-event usual stuff which has limited value – we can do this!
- What should everyone be reading/listening to? (work/life related)
I’ve got a few for you:
- Do you have any words of wisdom for us or a short phrase that sums up your ethos?
“Making a REAL difference; be authentic and don’t be obsessed with products, be obsessed with the problem you are solving for someone’s genuine need.”
- Do you have a Favourite quote?
Go ahead, make my day.
- Any professional goals for the upcoming year?
I would like to keep on helping people build businesses as well as marketing my own business much, much better.
- Why are you such an asset to the industry and the network (go on, don’t be shy, make a bold statement)
I understand marketing in the insurance world, so you don’t have to!
- How does being a member of The Camelot Network help you/or add value to your business?
- Anything else you think Insurers, solution providers to the insurance industry or potential members would find useful?
I’m more than happy to help businesses in a number of areas, including the creation of their brand and marketing strategy, articulating their value proposition to planning marketing tactics on a shoestring budget. I thrive being part of a team or working autonomously.
- Any tips that you can give to one or more of the following types of businesses?
Solution providers to the insurance industries – I know the make-up of insurance businesses and what makes them tick. I can help providers win over business by providing simplification and clarity to a value proposition, work out key messages to target audiences and advise on the best way to reach and retain customers.
Insurance businesses (in particular, startup/scale ups) – navigation of the insurance industry and value chain, lateral thinking to help grow business opportunities, customer understanding, marketing on a shoestring, including people recruitment.
Insurance businesses – established and experienced Interim CMO/Head of Marketing, team leading, coaching, and people development.
Support for other consultants, value proposition development, good sounding board and able to make connections for people looking for placements.
- And… Last but not least, any stats/results to show off your proud moments?
- Increased brand recognition for Pikl through search ranking from nowhere to three, secured three coveted insurance awards, successful event footfall and follow-up sales at short stay show.
- Secured investors and chair for two start-ups.
- Secured two strategic partnerships for a start-up through lateral thinking and finding alternative ways to reach customers.
To find out more about our members and how we can create your perfect solution, contact David Clamp: